Wallachian open-air museum
Wallachian open-air museum is located about 150m from Hotel Horal. The museum is a unique centre of Moravian folk architecture. It was opened in 1925. Every year it is visited by a great number of guests. The most important feature of the museum today is the aim to revive the forgotten traditional technological methods, folk art and customs and the reconstruction of social life, trades and ways of entertainment of our ancestors. Great attention is paid to farming and growing crops.
Wallachian Open-Air Museum has four parts. Three of them are located in Roznov p.R. about 150m far from our hotel, the forth part is situated about 20 km from the hotel in the mountain resort Pustevny.
Wallachian Open-Air Musseum has four parts:
- The Wooden Townlet
This is the oldest and most visited part of the Wallachian Open-Air Museum. It was founded in 1925. It represents a particularly attractive open-air display of the traditional style of living, home-run trades and crafts and municipal institutions of the Roznov area. The Wooden Townlet offers a wide range of presentations focusing on annual customs, traditional arts and crafts and other festive events. Every weekend during the high season, the visitors may attend the performances of both local and foreign folklore groups.
- The Water Mill Valley
The Water Mill Valley is the youngest part of the museum. It was opened in 1982. The guided sightseeing tour takes about 70 minutes. The placement of the Wool Mill, Water Mill and Saw Mill mirrors the layout in Velké Karlovice, from where the buildings have been brought. The Oil Crusher is an original building from the 18th century. The real pride of the entire Valley is the reconstructed Iron mill from Ostravice, the hammer and furnace of which are operated by a rapidly flowing stream of water. The operational facilities for the Iron mill are complemented by the Coach House building from Ostravice housing a permanent exposition entitled "Means of Transport in Wallachia".
- The Wallachian Village
The Wallachian Village occupies the largest part of the museum, encompassing farmsteads, wells, bell towers, windmills and gardens, and other related structures, all set among the jagged landscape, roads and clusters of trees to faithfully copy the character of traditional Wllachian Villages. Guided tour is to be ordered in advance and takes 120 minutes. The construction of the Village started in 1962, and it was opened to public in 1972. Inside the houses you can admire the ways of living of different social classes. Numerous programmes presenting the traditional trades and crafts, customs or technologies, as well as various educational programmes for schools take place all year long. While walking you can enjoy looking at fields, gardens, fruit trees and you can meet sheep and other farm animals.
.Pustevny today consists of the main buildings Libušín, Maměnka, Pustevenka and Wallachian belfry. Libušín and Wallachian belfry were restored in 1999, and in 2003 hotel Maměnka was opened to the public. From 1897 - 1899 the buildings were designed and realized by Slovakian architect Dušan Jurkovič and builder Michal Urbánek. In 1995 the declaration of the set of houses for a national monument was put through and the Wallachian open-air museum was charged with its management. The museum initiated a general repair and reconstruction of the buildings, arranged for the restoration of the interior decorations and provided replicas of the original furniture and lighting installations.